When it comes to course creation, upselling is a great way to increase your revenue and build stronger relationships with your students.
When you upsell, you’re offering your students the opportunity to purchase a more advanced or comprehensive course, or a bundle of courses, at a discounted price.
There are several reasons why you should consider upselling your courses to students:
- Increase revenue – Upselling is a great way to increase your revenue without having to attract new students.
- Build stronger relationships – When you upsell your students on additional products or services, you’re showing them that you’re invested in their success. This can help to build stronger relationships and create a more loyal student base.
- Improve student outcomes – Upselling to your students with additional resources or learning opportunities can help them to achieve their goals faster and more effectively.
How to upsell successfully
There are a few key things to keep in mind when upselling your courses to students:
Understand your students’ needs and goals
What are your students struggling with? What do they want to achieve? Once you understand their needs, you can tailor your upsell offers accordingly.
Offer relevant upsell courses
Don’t just try to sell your students anything and everything. Offer them upsell courses that are relevant to the course they’ve already purchased or that will help them achieve their next goal.
Make your upsell offers compelling and irresistible
Highlight the benefits of the upgraded course or bundle and how it will help your students achieve their goals. Use strong calls to action and a sense of urgency to encourage them to purchase.
Use effective communication techniques
When you’re presenting your upsell offers, be clear, concise, and persuasive. Focus on the value of what you’re offering and how it will benefit your students. Avoid being pushy or salesy.
When to upsell
There are a few key stages in the student journey where you have the opportunity to upsell your courses:
- Before the student enrolls in a course: You can upsell them on add-ons, such as templates, workbooks, or checklists.
- While the student is researching a course: You can give them the option to buy the course in a live or pre-sale version, or in a membership version.
- After the student completes a course: You can upsell them on further resources, education, or learning opportunities.
Examples of upsells
If you’re looking for some examples of upsells that you could offer your students, consider the following:
- Course bundle: Upsell your students on a bundle that includes the course they’re currently offering with additional products or services, such as templates, workbooks, checklists, or coaching sessions.
- Private coaching or mentorship: Upsell your students on private coaching or mentorship sessions. This is a great way to give them personalised support and help them achieve their goals faster.
- Live workshop: Offer a live workshop as an upsell. This is a great way to give them the opportunity to learn from you in person and get their questions answered directly.
Other upsell ideas:
- Certification: Upsell your students on the opportunity to earn a certification for completing your course. This can be a valuable addition to their resume and make them more marketable to potential employers.
- Community forum: Upsell your students on access to a private community forum where they can connect with other students and get help from you and your team.
- Discount on future courses: Offer your students a discount on their next course purchase if they sign up for an upsell offer.
Tips for successful upselling
Upselling shouldn’t be too salesy or spammy, but instead allow the opportunity for the student to gain more in-depth knowledge, support or value that compliments the course they are already undertaking.
Tips for successful upselling include:
- Make it easy to say yes: Offer your students a variety of payment options and make the checkout process as simple as possible.
- Create a sense of urgency: Offer your students a limited-time discount or bonus for purchasing an upsell.
- Use social proof: Share testimonials from students who have benefited from your upsell offers.
- Personalise your offers: Take the time to understand each student’s individual needs and goals, and tailor your upsell offers accordingly.
Upselling is a great way to increase your revenue, while also building stronger relationships with your students, and helping them achieve their goals faster. The art lies in ensuring the upsell offers you create that are relevant, compelling, and irresistible.
Get More Course Creation Tips as a VIP Member
As a Course Creators Circle Member you get access to our Course Creation Process from getting that content out of your head right through to launching and marketing your courses.
With access to our Course Creation VIP, you can ask all your course creation questions from Course Creation Expert, Linda Reed-Enever.